1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected security issues and unpleasant surprises

Discussion in 'CSO' started by RSS, Mar 28, 2016.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

Years ago I was working for a company and one of the finance directors was having difficulty getting his financial application to work. He rang me up late on a Friday (still can’t believe that I remember that) and he declared that it was a problem with the firewall blocking his application. Naturally.

“It has to be the firewall! I know you keep the access tightly controlled in here so I know it is blocking my application.” A wry smile crawled across my face. In actuality it wasn’t the firewall but, a permissions problem. His application was wanting, nay, demanding administrative access to install other libraries. Nothing could go wrong here. I looked at my Toronto Raptors tickets on my desk and wondered if I would see them tonight. I slid down the hall with my laptop tucked under my arm to the finance department wondering why these sorts of problems always happened at 4 pm or later on a Friday. A mystery for the ages.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...