1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Presidential longshot at CTIA 2015 promising nothing less than immortality

Discussion in 'Network World' started by RSS, Sep 10, 2015.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

I hadn’t come to room 3301 of the Sands Expo to see Zoltan Istvan speak. I had come because the official CTIA Super Mobility 2015 conference app had pinged a notification to me that Mike Tyson – a boxer of some repute – was due to participate in a panel discussion and I wanted to startle my editors by landing a quote from Iron Mike.

What I found, instead – I have no notion where Tyson was at the appointed time – was Zoltan Istvan, who is running for president. He is polished, polite and friendly. He was also gracious and patient with a reporter who bumbled into his speech by accident and essentially asked, “What the heck is going on here?”

For those unfamiliar with his work, Istvan is a columnist for Vice, former reporter for National Geographic and author of a novel called The Transhumanist Wager, which lays out his hyper-futurist philosophy. In essence, he believes that humanity’s goal must be to create technology so advanced that we become immortal – conquering death with the infinitely sharp sword of logic. Through advances in medical science, the gentle melding of humans and machines and various other technological means, Istvan says, we can achieve this transhumanist ideal – and as president he’ll devote his full powers to achieving the goal.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...