1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iis logs do not show in Kibana.

Discussion in 'Install Logstash and Kibana on a Windows server.' started by klein, Jan 12, 2016.

1. klein

klein New Member Member

2. sbagmeijer

sbagmeijer Machine

I moved your post to it's own topic, did you look at Step 16 in the guide and made sure you use the correct path to the IIS logs from Kibana?

3. klein

klein New Member Member

thanks for the reply, yes i did the same way as mentioned there, but kibana? i dont think kibana is mentioned in that step

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  4. sbagmeijer

sbagmeijer Machine

No it does not mention Kibana but it mentions you must update the nxlog to the correct directory for your log.

So for example my IIS logs for the vhost of Kibana are inside:
    Code:
    "C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1\u_ex*.log"
    But you logs could be in another folder for example:
    "C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC2\u_ex*.log" or "C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC4\u_ex*.log"

Do you understand? so make sure that directory is correct then browse to Kibana and refresh the page a few times so it generates IIS logs and then they should appear.

If this still does not work then you need to double check if Kibana is allowed to read the logs permission wise, if that is correct then you have to loop trough the whole chain.

So start ElasticSearch in a CMD prompt and check it all will run fine without errors, start Logstash in CMD prompt and check it all will run fine without errors and start Kibana in CMD prompt and check for errors.
    By starting it in a CMD prompt the errors will show directly in the terminal prompt if any.

5. klein

klein New Member Member

logstash.conf should have something supportive of reading these files right?

6. sbagmeijer

sbagmeijer Machine

No logstash runs on a port as you specify in logstash.conf 5544, and nxlog does sent the logs to logstash.