1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDG Contributor Network: Why desensitization is ruining your security strategy (part 1)

Discussion in 'CSO' started by RSS, Nov 2, 2015.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

The booms rustled me from my sleep, and the resulting shockwaves communicated something bad was happening. I immediately sat up in bed, conducted a quick self-assessment, and made sure my CHU (containerized housing unit) mate, and I were not injured. My second combat tour in Iraq and rarely did bombings or mortar attacks disturb me any longer. They had become a fact of life and when they happened (not if they happened) if you were alive at the end you only continued operations; it was just another day at the office.

This particular incident seemed unusually disturbing and subsequently I got up out of bed and decided to see if my F.O.B. (Forward Operating Base) had been hit. After a quick perusal outside I determined that everything was OK and went back to sleep. All this happened in a matter of fact manner that suggested I had become desensitized to the realities of war.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...