1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDG Contributor Network: Voice technologies make waves in security

Discussion in 'CSO' started by RSS, Aug 26, 2016.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

Who is this? It's a question we rarely have to ask of callers these days with caller ID, but I remember back in the days of land lines when a call or two came through from a person whose voice I didn't recognize.

Parents warned their children not to talk to people they didn't know and to never tell a stranger they were home alone. Children complied because even at a young age, we are able to recognize each other through voice.

Not only do we identify people by their voices, but we also make assumptions about people based on their voice, said Rita Singh, research scientists, Carnegie Mellon University.

Singh said her work focuses on the core algorithmic aspects of computer speech recognition, and the understanding of and learning from speech signals. "The goal of my work is to enable computing machines to recognize speech better in general, especially in high noise and complex environments," Singh said.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...