1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDG Contributor Network: Deferring Harvard for a cybersecurity start-up

Discussion in 'CSO' started by RSS, May 25, 2016.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

A former teacher of English who was quite passionate about teaching grammar, I can attest to the fact that sometimes students feel that what they learn in the classroom will never apply to them in the 'real' world. As a grown woman, I'm sorry to say that when I was a junior in high school, I felt that way about sine, cosine, and tangent.

Advanced math wasn't fun for me because I didn't understand how I would or could ever use it in my life. This experience is one that many people, young and old, have had; however, with the high cost of college tuition, no one wants to experience this frustration at the university level.

Enter Michael Chen. He is a computer science major at Harvard who deferred his degree by one year to go work full time at a security technology startup. After spending his summers interning at large corporations like Microsoft, Chen felt discouraged that he wasn't gaining the experience he hoped for in his internships. Rather, he felt like his internships were mainly vanity projects that didn’t provide much value.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...