1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IDG Contributor Network: 9/11: My story

Discussion in 'CSO' started by RSS, Sep 10, 2016.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

On Sept. 11, 2001, at 6:45 am, AA flight #1017 lifted off LaGuardia runway #4 on its way to Minneapolis. As it made a lazy right turn over Manhattan and past the twin towers, I remarked to myself how crystal clear the sky was. Having lived in NYC for 25 years, I remembered many peaceful fall mornings like that. Our flight was completely uneventful until we reached MSP airport where chaos was in the air and on the monitors. People were hoping that a small plane had hit the North Tower, but I knew it was a terrorist attack. On such a clear day I knew that no pilot could make that mistake. I didn’t know it would take me a week to get back home.

It feels like a lifetime has passed since 9/11, although it has been only 15 years. We lost friends and neighbors. A pall hung over the city for months and I was hesitant to revisit the place where I had worked as an information security consultant and trainer only a few years earlier. Recently, visiting the new Freedom Tower gave me hope and thanks in our ability to bring out the good in people.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...