1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to avoid online scams when selling your old iPhone or iPad

Discussion in 'Network World' started by RSS, Jun 6, 2015.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

A lot of people right now are selling their old iPhones and iPad minis to trade up to the supersized iPhone 6 models. Unfortunately, I suspect some of them are being scammed out of their devices — I nearly was.

I’m itching for a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus (Space Gray, please). To partly finance Apple’s turkey-platter-sized phablet, I decided to sell my first-generation iPad mini on Amazon. That’s where my scamming saga begins.

Within one day of listing the tablet, I received an Amazon email from "Kimberly." She expressed interested in my mini and asked me to send pictures to her personal Yahoo email address.

It seemed like a reasonable request, so I emailed a few pictures to her. She soon replied via her Yahoo email and asked for my Amazon seller name. I was a tad suspicious because she was communicating with me directly instead of going through Amazon’s messaging system, but I replied.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...