1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essential certifications for smart security pros

Discussion in 'Network World' started by RSS, Sep 6, 2016.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

If you’re pursuing a career in IT security, certifications can only help you. Certification-critics often say a certification means nothing, and acumen and experience are the true differentiators, but as a holder of dozens of IT security certifications, I beg to differ. So do employers.

A particular certification is often the minimum hurdle to getting an one-on-one in-person job interview. If you don’t have the cert, you don’t get invited. Other times, having a particular certification can give you a leg up on competing job candidates who have similar skill sets and experience.

[ Deep Dive: How to rethink security for the new world of IT. | Discover how to secure your systems with InfoWorld's Security newsletter. ]

Every certification I’ve gained took focused, goal-oriented study -- which employers view favorably, as they do with college degrees. More important, I picked up many new skills and insights in IT security while studying for each certification test. I also gained new perspectives on even familiar information I thought I had already mastered. I became a better employee and thinker because of all the certifications I have studied for and obtained. You will too.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

(Insider Story)

Continue reading...