1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enterprise encryption adoption up, but the devil's in the details

Discussion in 'Network World' started by RSS, Jul 21, 2016.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

I was talking about security with a good friend of mine who runs a software development company. He’s a really smart, technology-savvy guy but his take on encryption wasn’t positive. While he completely understands the need, he hates encryption (and security in general) because he says it always gets in the way when he’s trying to get work done. In this respect, I don’t think he’s that different from most people in the high tech world or, indeed, in the business world in general.

This general dislike of encryption is because encryption doesn’t seem valuable when it’s a virtual speed bump in the road to getting stuff done and its benefits, despite the huge increase in breaches and hacking, are hard to quantify. So, with the exception of the paranoid and security geeks, encryption has traditionally been seen as a belt added to the braces of other simpler and therefore more tolerable security measures.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...