1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a Cybersecurity Center of Excellence

Discussion in 'Network World' started by RSS, Dec 17, 2015.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

I’ve been writing about the cybersecurity skills shortage for many years and unfortunately, things seem to be getting worse. Here are a few data points:

• According to ESG research, 28% of organizations claim that they have a “problematic shortage” of IT security skills (Note: I am an ESG employee).
    • Job market analytics vendor Burning Glass states that cybersecurity job postings grew 74% from 2007 to 2013, more than twice the growth rate of all IT jobs.
    • Prospective employers posted more than 50,000 jobs requesting Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification. Unfortunately, there are only about 65,000 CISSPs in the world and many are gainfully employed.
    • ISC2, the organization that certifies CISSPs believes that there will be a deficit of 1.5 million cybersecurity professionals by 2020. The UK House of Lords is even more bearish, predicting a shortage of 2 million cybersecurity professionals by 2017.
    • A 2015 report from the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) states that 86% of business and IT professionals globally believe there is a shortage of cyber security professionals. In this case, perception is reality.
    • A Raytheon/National Cyber Security Alliance report indicates that 64% of high school students do not have access to computer science classes (or other similar classes) that could help prepare them for a cybersecurity career.

When I speak with CISOs, I always ask them if they have the right skills and an adequate staff to keep up with the cybersecurity workload. The answer is almost always an overwhelming “NO,” regardless of their organization’s location, size, or industry. Cybersecurity professionals I talk with also tend to respond with a question for me: “What can my organization do to attract cybersecurity talent?”

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...