1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups aren't just for smoking crater scenarios

Discussion in 'CSO' started by RSS, Sep 20, 2016.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

Every company I had worked for in the past was another piece in my continuing education. Along the way there have been some lessons that were recurring. One of the main ones was around backups. Time and again I would encounter the most curious backup…um, strategies.

At one company in particular I made the mistake of asking what we were doing for backups on the core production systems. I was met with confused looks and the response that any server could be rebuilt by reinstalling the operating system. I asked about the database and was met with a glazed over look.

This was a shop that had absolutely no backup plan whatsoever. When I dug a little deeper I discovered that only some systems were being backed up at all. And none of those backup tapes were ever tested. No one knew if the tapes would even recover a single iota of data. But, the rationale was that the systems were being backed up and thus, compliant.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...