1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 times Facebook has genuinely scared me

Discussion in 'Network World' started by RSS, Sep 21, 2015.

1. RSS

RSS New Member Member

There's no doubt Facebook is a wonder of engineering, a site that brings on vast amounts of data for a user despite it being scattered throughout data centers and external sources. No question, Mark Zuckerberg and crew have engineered a marvel.

But there are times when it really spooks me.

It comes with friend recommendations. Somehow, this site has the capacity to recommend people that I know in real life but have absolutely no online connections to whatsoever. It's happened so often it can't be a coincidence, either. Three recent examples come to mind:

Example 1: While closing the suggestion box for recommended friends, up popped the name of my acupuncturist, whom I haven't seen in six months. She is not in my Outlook contact list, only on my cellphone. Now, I frequently share stories about holistic news and have my naturopathic doctor among my friend's list, but why of the dozens of acupuncturists in northern Orange County did she come up?

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

Continue reading...